Art Studio Sessions: ALL SIX
Art Studio Sessions
Art workshops out of Betony Coons’ home studio.
Third Saturday of the month from 9AM-12PM,
Limit 12 students
$270 for all 6 (saving $60)
Limit 12 adult students
The cost includes:
3 hours of a prepared, enriching art session (36 hours total!)
A finished piece to take home each month
Breakfast treats & coffee
Encouragement and instruction from a professional dabbler and tinkerer!
If personal situations arise, you can get a full refund up until 2 weeks before the class.
January 18th CLOTH
February 15th PAPER
March 21st CANVAS
April 18th HUE
May 16th INK
June 20th PLAY
There’s nothing like sitting around a table and creating with friends. Actually, gathering together over art projects is one of my favorite things to do. I know that’s what kept me passionate teaching AP Art for over 10 years. I love watching the artistic growth develop in each of us when that space of collaboration and encouragement is created.
Making that time happen is difficult to do, but so worth it.
Here’s to investing in the artist within you for 2020!
For more about Betony watch this video
Art Studio Session: CLOTH
This class will be all about textile design! You will leave with your own printed fabric, a unique textile tile-able design that can be made into real printed fabric, and a new understanding about creating your own patterns.
- Experiment with india ink to create a set of simple textile patterns
- Learn how to use block printing to print on fabric and create a hand printed tea towel
- Create a complex repeating pattern inspired by vintage tapestries
- Learn how to turn your designs into real fabric
For this class we will be making cut paper portraits of important people in our lives. (Bring or email a good quality zoomed in photo beforehand.) We will also be creating dimensional/shadowbox vignettes using collage tidbits that tell a story, and making our own beautiful handmade sketchbooks.
- Create a cut paper portrait based on a photograph
- Illustrate and collage a shadowbox story
- Make an asian stab-bound sketchbook
In this class we will be learning the process of creating a painting from the very beginning: stretching the canvas, dyeing raw canvas, creating an underpainting, and how to incorporate paper elements using mediums. This class will be all about process and the beauty of making things with your own hands.
- Experimenting with hand dyeing raw canvas
- Learning how to stretch canvas over stretcher bars
- Learning about layering paint and paper to create depth on canvas
- Creating a finished painting of branches incorporating new techniques
Color! This class will be an explosion of color. We will be using lots of fun mediums to experiment with vibrant pigments. We will learn color mixing techniques and blending techniques, push the boundaries of our visual perception of color, and create a lively animal painting from start to finish.
- Making a painted spectrum chart and learning about color blending techniques
- Creating an Animal painting with unexpected colors
- “Painting” with patterned paper
In this class we will be playing with the fluid medium of ink. We will be using bold colored inks with a variety of brushes and pens to get a sense for the expressive qualities of line. We will also spend a lot of time workshopping how to add more depth and meaning to the symbols in your work, and finally, we will be creating personal tattoo-inspired designs.
- Inkodye prints
- Experiments with various brushes and pens to play with line and value
- Learning how to give visual language to your story by connecting your personal narrative to symbolic imagery.
- India ink tattoo designs
A class about letting go of outcomes and having fun through experimentation. This workshop will be all about embracing your inner creative child and letting loose. We will be playing with all sorts of materials, learning about the balance between control and freedom in line, and creating meaningful family artwork.
- Creativity as the art of making connections
- Create a kid-art inspired painting and incorporating children artwork into your pieces
- Art experiments in “Letting go of control” and abstraction
- Create a “paper doll” family portrait
Out of stock